The 2012 Diamond Dog Food Recall Due to Salmonella Contamination
This A+ FRR Pet Nutrition FAQ discusses the 2012 recall of Diamond pet foods for dogs as well as eight other popular dog foods and cat foods due to potential salmonella contamination.
Confused by all the recent 2012 dog food and cat food recalls? With Diamond Pet Foods -- manufacturers of Diamond Naturals and Diamond Dog Foods and Cat Foods, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Premium Edge, Taste of the Wild and other brands -- making an initial recall on April 6th, only to be followed by nine separate expansions of the original recall (to date), it's become increasingly difficult to keep up with the rapid pace of pet food recall news. We've researched and culled through hundreds of articles associated with the most recent recalls and have summarized the findings below -- we hope the information helps.
It's important to first note that while Diamond Pet Foods has been involved in previous national pet food recalls, the recalls in 2012 are unrelated to the 2005 dog food recalls due to Aflatoxin contamination and the 2007 recalls due to Melamine contamination.
To date, at least sixteen humans and innumerable dogs and cats have become sick or have died in 2012 (no human deaths reported) after eating and/or handling Diamond Pet Foods products or foods produced at Diamond plants, including at least one infant.
Dog Food Brands Recalled in 2012
On May 29th the U.S. FDA reported that samples from two Diamond Pet Foods plants reported positive for Salmonella contamination, with Salmonella Liverpool identified at the plant in Meta, Missouri, and Salmonella Infantis in Gaston, South Carolina. The FDA initiated a week-long investigation on April 12th, 2012 of Diamond's facility in South Carolina and found numerous violations, including notifying the company that its screening process for possible contaminants wasn't thorough enough.
The recalled dog food products were sold or distributed in over thirty states and two countries, including Alabama, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Canada and Puerto Rico.
Pet foods and products recalled in connection with the Salmonella Liverpool plant in Gaston, S.C.:
- Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice Dog Food - Recalled on April 6th (Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice Dry Dog Food Recalled)
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Adult Light Dog Food Formula - Recalled on April 26th (Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Dog Food Recalled)
- Diamond Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food - Recalled on April 30th (Diamond Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food Recalled
- Natural Balance Pet Foods made at Diamond's S.C. plant - Recalled on May 4th (Natural Balance Dog Foods Recalled)
- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog Food
- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Food
- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Large Breed Bites
- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Small Breed Bites
- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Dog Food
- Natural Balance Vegetarian Dog Food
- Wellness Pet Foods made at Diamond's S.C. plant - Recalled on May 4th (Wellness Dog Food Recalled)
- Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy Dog Food
- Apex Dog Foods made at Diamond's S.C.plant - Recalled on May 4th (Apex Dog Foods Recalled)
- Apex Chicken and Rice Dog Food
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Country Value, Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, Professional, 4Health, Taste of the Wild Dog Foods - Recalled on May 5th (Diamond Pet Foods Recall Expands to 9 Different Brands)
- Canidae Dog Foods made at Diamond's S.C. plant - Recalled on May 5th (Canidae Dog Foods Recalled)
- Canidae Dog - All Life Stages Dog Food
- Canidae Dog - Chicken Meal & Rice Dog Food
- Canidae Dog - Lamb Meal & Rice Dog Food
- Canidae Dog - Platinum Dog Food
- Kirkland Signature Dog Foods made at Diamond's S.C. plant - Recalled on May 5th (Kirkland Signature Dog Foods Recalled)
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Dog Food Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Dog Food Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Dog Food Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Food Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Cat Food Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Food Formula
- Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs
- Solid Gold Dog Foods made at Diamond's S.C. plant - Recalled on May 8th (Solid Gold Dog Foods Recalled)
- Solid Gold WolfCub Large Breed Puppy Food
- Solid Gold WolfKing Large Breed Adult Food
Pet foods and products recalled in connection with the Salmonella Infantis plant in Meta, M.O.:
The recalled dog foods were manufacturered between August 26th, 2011 and April 7th, 2012, and have "best used before" dates between December 9th, 2012 and April 7th, 2013.
For customers that have purchased any of the recalled pet foods, Diamond Pet Foods urges not to feed it to your pet and not to handle the food directly — instead, immediately discard it. Questions and requests for refunds should be directed to Diamond Pet Foods at 1-866-918-8756.
Additional Reading Resources
May 29th - Food Safety News: After Eight Expansions, How Big is the Diamond Pet Foods Recall?
May 20th - The Pet Food Recall That Won't End?
May 18th - Dog Food Advisor: Diamond Issues Yet Another Dog Food Recall
May 18th - Chicago Tribune: Missouri-based pet food maker issues another recall
May 11th - Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis Infections Linked to Dry Dog Food
May 10th - Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Diamond Pet Foods Dry Food
May 6th - Food Safety News: Expanded Recall of Diamond Pet Foods Dry Dog Food
May 4th - Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Recalled Dry Dog Food
May 1st - Food Poisoning Bulletin: Diamond Pet Foods Expands Dog Food Recall Again
A+ FRR Note
: Flint River Ranch
has no involvement with Diamond Pet Foods
, and none of Flint River Ranch's all natural, healthy dog food formulas or cat food formulas are involved in this dog food recall or any other pet food recall.
FAQs: Pet Food Recalls