2013 Pet Food Recall News and Updates
This A+ Flint River Ranch Pet Food Nutrition FAQ covers some of the major pet food recalls in 2013 from manufacturers like Natura Pet Foods, Diamond Pet Foods, Nature's Variety and others.
We haven't had a pet food recall news update in a little while, but there's been no shortage of recalls recently.
The most recent pet food recall in 2013 comes from Natura Pet Brands (which is now owned by Procter & Gamble), and it's their first ever dog food or cat food recall. Natura Pet is the manufacturer of Innova, EVO, California Natural and HealthWise dog foods and cat foods, and the company issued the recall on March 18th following the U.S. FDA confirming the presence of Salmonella in one of the company's products.
A variety of formulas for dogs and cats from all four Natura product lines are involved in the recall, and details on the specific formulas and batches can be found at www.naturapet.com/recall.
UPDATE: On June 18th, 2013, Natura expanded the dry pet food recall to include specific lots of all of the company’s brands, including Innova, EVO, California Natural, Healthwise, Karma and Mother Nature. It does not apply to any of the canned pet food formulas at this time. Additional information on the new Natura recall is available here.
The Natura Pet food recalls are unrelated to several earlier pet food recalls in 2013, including:
- Diamond Pet Foods - Several brands of Diamond cat food were recalled on March 10th, 2013 due to a potential Vitamin B1 deficiency.
- Nature's Variety - One batch of Instinct Raw Organic Chicken Formula dog food and cat food was recalled on February 15th following the discovery of clear plastic pieces found in some bags that could create a potential choking risk to pets. [More Information]
- Bravo! Pet Foods - One batch of Bravo! Raw Food Diet Chicken Blend for Dogs and Cats was recalled on March 13th due to potential Salmonella bacteria contamination. [More Information]
- Steve's Real Food - 5lb bags of Steve's Real Food Turducken Canine Diet 8 ounce patties were recalled on March 8th after an inspection found a bag to be contaminated with Salmonella. [More Information]
- Hy-Vee - Several formulas of Hy-Vee Dog Food were recalled on February 25th due to elevated levels of aflatoxin, a chemical toxic mold contaminant typically found on corn. Aflatoxin was the main culprit in the 2005 and 2006 national recalls of Diamond Pet Foods that were initiated following the deaths of more than a dozen dogs.
We've provided a quick synopsis of the main pet food recalls of early 2013, and a more extensive list of pet food recall updates for pet foods and treats can be found on the U.S. FDA's Pet Food Recalls site: http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/recallswithdrawals/default.htm
A+ FRR Note
: Flint River Ranch
has no involvement with Natura Pet Brands
, Diamond Pet Foods
or any of the other pet food manufacturers listed above. None of Flint River Ranch's all natural, healthy dog food formulas or cat food formulas are involved in this dog food recall or any other pet food recall.
FAQs: Pet Food Recalls