We've put together a new Pet Health FAQ
that covers the spreading canine influenza virus — including the recent outbreak in Denver, Colorado — whether pet owners should be concerned about their dogs catching the dog flu, what symptoms to watch for, and how to help prevent and treat canine influenza.
Here are several key points to know about the new dog flu virus:
- The disease is only deadly in rare cases, and most dogs do recover from the virus
- Puppies and older dogs are more likely to catch the virus and are at a higher risk of severe health complications from the flu
- The virus causes symptoms that appear similar to kennel cough, including constant coughing and sneezing
- The disease is spreading rapidly and is more likely to be spread when dogs come into close contact with other dogs (i.e. kennels, dog parks, doggie day care, etc.)
- One of the best things pet owners can do to prevent canine influenza is to help boost their dog's immune system
- All natural, wellness pet foods such as our Flint River Ranch healthy dog foods are excellent for strengthening and supporting your dog's immune system and for fighting the dog flu
Please consult our new Dog Flu FAQ
for complete details and additional veterinary recommendations for this rapidly developing disease.
We also have a new Pet Health FAQ on the Diamond Pet Food Recall
that covers the recent Diamond pet foods for dogs and cats recall due to the potentially deadly toxin aflatoxin and discusses several issues to consider from a pet health and nutrition standpoint.